The Gift of Health
Why do we wrap up sugar, fat and unhealthy junk as gifts for the holidays? Do people really want the 3-5 extra pounds that is typically packed on during the holidays?
Chocolates, cookies, fudge, hot cocoa mix in mason jars (oh, but they're so cute), sausage & cheese platters. Seriously, it's not so holly and jolly to give the gift of the jiggle, now is it?
As a fit freak, I try to give what I'd like to receive, even though some recipients would probably prefer the chocolate covered Oreos. Eek! That's 150 calories in just ONE of those little guys. So, bring on the spinach & kale basket... totally kidding! You can make healthy gifts just as cute and fun and those festive cookies.
Here are my favorite fit gift ideas. They're unique, and they show more thought and care.
1. Exercise accessory: yoga mat, workout headband, fitness tank or a fun water bottle.
2. A week pass to a gym or yoga studio.
3. Bath bomb! We all could use relaxation this time of year. Buy yourself one while you're at it.
4. Trail Mix. Put those cute mason jars to use in a healthy way. Just fill with mixed nuts, unsweetened dried fruit & dark chocolate pieces.
5. My very own Daily Double workout program for just $20. Workouts can be done anywhere in very little time (shameless plug lol). Click here for details Workouts – Fit Elyse
While you're at it, do yourself a favor this holiday season. Start on your resolution before the ball drops. I know this time of year gets crazy and working out is one of the first things to go, but let me tell you, I'm the queen of quick and effective workouts. There's really no excuse! My workouts are 10-20 minutes long and don't require any equipment at all.
By starting your day with a good sweat session, you'll get your mind and body ready for a healthy day. You'll find it's easier to say no to junk food, you'll have more energy and you'll be proud of yourself for starting that resolution early.
Here's a quick workout for you to do 4 times a week. It'll only take 10 minutes, so don't be a lazy butt! Do it! Then sign up for my Daily Double and keeping working toward those goals into 2017!
Do each exercise for 30 seconds before moving on to the next, without a break. Cycle through 3-4 times.
1. Squat Jacks: Stand with feet together and hands on hips. Jump feet out wide and squat down, pressing hips back. Jump feet back together and stand straight.
2. Curtsy Lunge: Take one large step forward, crossing the other leg behind you. Lunge straight down and rise up. Continue for 30 seconds before switching legs.
3. Plank Hop-Ins: Get into a strong plank. Hop both feet up to meet hands as you make a crouching position with hands still on the ground. Quickly hop back out into a plank.
4. Outer Thigh Squats: Stand with feet slightly more than shoulder width apart. Squat down to a 90 degree angle. As you rise, lift one leg straight up and out to the side. Lower, squat back down and alternate legs.
Have a happy, healthy Christmas and New Year!